Liverpool asks for an official investigation into the ugly scenes around the Champions League final

the game, Real Madrid won 1-0for more than 35 minutes after Liverpool fans struggled to enter the stadium despite many arriving hours before kick-off.

French police used tear gas while holding supporters in tightly packed areas around the Stade de France, causing safety concerns to spread among those there.

“We are very disappointed with the problems entering the stadium and the breakdown of the security perimeter that Liverpool fans faced this evening at the Stade de France,” Liverpool said in a press statement. statement.

“This is the greatest match in European football and fans should not have to experience the scenes we witnessed tonight.

“We have officially asked for an official investigation into the causes of these unacceptable cases,” he added.

European soccer’s governing body, UEFA, said the problem was caused by people without valid tickets trying to enter the stadium and that tear gas was used to maintain control.

“In the lead-up to the match, the turnstiles at the end of Liverpool were blocked by thousands of fans who bought fake tickets that did not work at the turnstiles,” UEFA said in a statement. statement.

“This resulted in a backlog of fans trying to get in. As a result, kick-off was delayed by 35 minutes to allow as many fans as possible to get original tickets.

“As the numbers outside the stadium continued to grow after the start, the police dispersed them with tear gas and forced them away from the stadium.

“UEFA sympathizes with those affected by these events and will review these matters urgently with the French police and authorities, and with the French Football Federation.”

Pictures showed fans crammed into fenced areas after a bottleneck formed around a particularly narrow entry point at Liverpool’s end.

See also  Liam Hendrix puts forearm fatigue on the list

Many fans with tickets say they were denied entry to the stadium in dangerously crowded areas and that communication from security was poor.

“People without tickets were forced to the barricades and tried to enter the stadium to watch the match,” a Paris police spokesman told CNN. “These attempts created mass movements.”

As confusion spread before kick-off, videos emerged on social media of people – with no apparent team affiliation – climbing the fences around the stadium and running on the ground.

The game finally started but there were plenty of empty seats at the end of the Liverpool stadium.

Merseyside Police, who attended the match as an observer and consultant, said “the vast majority of fans behaved exemplary, arriving at the turnstiles early and queuing as directed.”

“Their observations will be passed on to the appropriate authorities as part of the debriefing of the match,” Assistant Police Chief Chris Green said in a statement. statement.

“We know people were going to have a lot of sad scenes last night and we wish everyone to come home from Paris a safe journey.

“Our focus today will be to support Liverpool City Council by monitoring the Homecoming Parade.”

Tensions rose as fans stayed in crowded areas.

After the match, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said the team was aware of the incidents leading up to the match and that their families were affected.

“I haven’t been able to speak to my family yet,” he said, “but I know the families had real hardship to get into the stadium.”

“I’ve heard some things that weren’t good, they were obviously very difficult but I don’t know more about them.”

Nigel HuddlestonBritain’s sports, tourism and civil society minister said on Twitter he was concerned about “disturbing scenes” around the stadium and said his ministry was “working with the relevant authorities to find out what happened and why”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.